How cloud orchestration enhances disaster recovery
In today’s competitive market, businesses are driving new innovations at lightning speed to exceed customer expectations and build brand loyalty. For disaster recovery (DR), the rapid pace of change is critical to driving new innovations. This type of innovation relies on an agile IT infrastructure to be successful — managing an on-premise and cloud network of core systems, data and applications that are interconnected, intelligent, interdependent and increasingly complex — across every layer of the business. Enter cloud orchestration.
Customers demand that the business services they rely on for their daily needs are always on and always available. So what happens when a disruption occurs? An interruption can create a ripple effect across your entire business – and the impact can be devastating. In terms of DR, are you confident your organization can meet the expected recovery time and recovery point objectives? Is your company compliant with regulatory requirements based on your current DR testing?
Cloud orchestration for DR is becoming increasingly popular, with enterprises of all sizes adopting it for its ability to verify application continuity and make recovery predictable and consistent through a cost-effective approach.
How cloud orchestration assists disaster recovery
Cloud orchestration creates an intelligent workflow comprised of individual automated actions with an awareness of the entire workflow process. Consider, for example, failing over an entire data center comprised of several applications and subcomponents with full awareness of dependencies and external influencers. This change allows fully automated site failover with limited human intervention, bringing business benefits and operational efficiencies in IT recovery management.
Can your disaster recovery program do this?
Manual IT recovery strategies, which are often unpredictable and inconsistent, are no longer effective in today’s complex IT environment. To meet business-driven recovery outcomes, IT executives must orchestrate recovery horizontally across all technologies and vertically across all IT layers. Take note of these five key DR imperatives around cloud orchestration to empower resiliency:
- Be recovery-ready: Orchestrate workflow automation to detect environment changes by application, server or database, including in a hybrid and heterogeneous IT environment.
- Automate DR testing: Instead of unpredictable guesswork-based DR rehearsals, orchestration technology and pre-packaged recovery patterns enable a predictable and reliable recovery program to increase confidence from business leaders, boards of directors and regulators.
- Increase visibility: Ensure business defined resiliency service-level agreements can be monitored and managed via a dashboard. Ensure recovery goals are visible to key CIOs, DR managers and VPs of infrastructure to assure the business that DR systems can be failed over at any time.
- Reduce costs: Streamline DR testing, speed up recovery workflow rollout, and reduce resource requirements to create efficiencies.
- Meet regulatory requirements: Regional and industry-specific regulations require that enterprises conduct regular DR rehearsals, so businesses must ensure tamper-proof DR reporting can be managed on a regular basis, without disruption to business.
Business resiliency is transforming — traditional approaches no longer apply in today’s complex heterogeneous and hybrid cloud environment. Orchestration is the key to increasing business resiliency confidence and reducing human error, risks, costs and outage time.
Check out the video, where Laurence Guihard-Joly, general manager of IBM resiliency services, and I discuss the value of this innovation for resiliency.